Monday, September 6, 2010

Cheesy Okra Fritters

I tried a new recipe today and I think it is a great alternative to plain ol’ fried okra.   Hope you like it too.

100_1392

Cheesy Okra Fritters

1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup flour
2 cups coarsely chopped okra
1/2 small onion, diced
1 egg
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded cheese
1/4 tsp. cayenne (optional)
salt and pepper

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, okra, onion and cayenne and toss to coat.  In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk together.  Add the buttermilk mixture to the okra, stirring to combine.  Add the cheese and stir again until fully incorporated.  Salt and pepper conservatively.

Working in batches, drop batter in small mounds into the oil.  (I used a small ice cream scoop.)  Using a spatula, gently press each mound until slightly flattened.  Fry the fritters until golden, about 4 minutes per side, flipping once.  Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.

(I made 15 with this recipe.)

 

100_1393

100_1394

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Yum! I've never seen a recipe for okra fritters before, and I'm certainly going to try it! In fact, I picked okra out of the garden this morning before coming to work. I love okra any way it can be fixed...thanks for sharing :)

Anke said...

That recipe sounds fantastic! And it'll give me another way to use up all the okra we've been getting. I'll definitely give this a try, thanks for sharing it.