Wednesday, September 16, 2009

White Wednesday -- Moon Flowers




This the beautiful moon flower shrub in my yard. If you are not familiar with it, it is aptly named because the flower opens at night. In the morning you are able to see the blooms, but they quickly fade especially when the sun warms up the yard. I have discovered that if I pick them early and put them in a vase they will last most of the day. I have had as many as 20 of them open at a time and it is a sight. The petals feel almost like paper. After the bloom falls off, a seed pod is formed and, when it dries, it scatters many seeds. The plant does die back in this climate (north Texas), but the seeds come up everywhere which is okay with me. The flower is about 4 inches across and about 8 inches tall. If anyone is interested in some seeds, let me know and I'll be glad to mail them to you.

3 comments:

cherry said...

This is my first time venturing here...came over from Tina's....what a lovely blog and offer. I wonder if they would do good up North...ORegon? I also collect silhouettes. Love your style! Cherry

Shanna said...

I would love to have some seeds - I live in NW Tennessee and we have pretty much the same kind of weather that you do. Email me and I'll give you my address!

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hello Teresa,

My name is Theresa and I live in Texas too! But unfortunately we live in a bigger city. We live in a regular neighborhood with sidewalks and all. How 'bout we trade? My husband and I would love to live in a small city and have some land, but this is where the Lord has us for now.

I just found your blog yesterday and this post is a few days old, so I hope you still get the comment. I don't have a blog, but I love to read them. I have a love/hate relationship with computers, so I haven't attempted that yet. =)

I would absolutely love to have some moonflower seeds. We had a neighbor who had them and loved them. We've planted morning glories, but not those. I was thinking that I'd like to grow both on our fence so it would have blooms day and night. How lovely that would be.

If you are still sharing them, I would love to have them. I will say what Shanna said, email me and I will give you my address. And thank you for your generosity.

Blessings,
Theresa in TX
jasonandtheresa@sbcglobal.net