Monday, January 11, 2010

My Bottle Tree

100_0900

I have been wanting a bottle tree for some time and my husband surprised me a few weeks ago by making one.   We finally got it “planted” in the middle of my herb garden.   I almost hate to show it to you now because everything is so dead in the yard, but this will give us something to compare it to in spring when it has a better background and more “blooms” on it.   I have encouraged all of my wine drinking friends to save bottles for me and I’d really appreciate it if they would choose their wine by the color of the bottle – blue, please!  (Since I’m not a big wine drinker that makes as much sense to me as any method.) 

If you don’t know the folk lore of the bottle tree, it is a southern tradition, brought from Africa by the slaves.  Legend has it that evil spirits in the yard are trapped in the bottles at night, keeping them from the house, and the heat of the sun kills them during the day.   Evil spirits are not something I am afraid of, but I just love bottle trees!   Okay, everyone, start drinking (or I’d be happy with vinegar or any long-necked bottle.)

2 comments:

Denise said...

I love it!

XXDenise

Nola said...

I'm so glad I found you via Tx BLogging Gals!
Your button collection is fantastic. How do you wash them? I've washed mine in a lingerie bag with other things in the delicate cycle of the washing machine without any problem.
Keep the lilly pad plate!
Your bottle tree is great; I've been saving blue bottles (Skyy vodka) for several months because I want to make one in the spring.
So glad I stopped by, you've got some really cute and interesting posts!