Friday, April 22, 2011

Here comes Peter Cottontail . . .

A few weeks ago we had a new family of cottontail rabbits born in our pasture under a garden cart.  I have lots of families born in my herb garden every year, but we have never found a nest in the pasture.

Those mama rabbits really know how to build a “nursery” – she digs out a little hole, lines it with her fur and covers it with grass.  My husband discovered the nest by accident and covered it back up with the cart.  After checking on it every few days, he saw that they had all left.   All except one who keeps hanging around the barn. 

The baby is not afraid of my husband and will let him get right up to it and pick it up.  He wears a glove in the hopes that the mama rabbit won’t abandon it (if she is even still around).

So here is a quick picture I took of the little guy/girl – only about 3” long.  I almost think it wants to be a pet rather than a wild rabbit.

bunny

No comments: