Thursday, June 9, 2011

Our garden overfloweth . . .

100_1731

I have a love-hate relationship with this time of year. . .

My husband loves to plant a garden and I do love the vegetables, but  why, oh why, do they all have to come at the same time!   I have made 10 loaves of zucchini bread, 5 casseroles (in the freezer), sliced zucchini for soup later and froze bags of shredded zucchini for more bread. 

Now, here come the cucumbers!  I really must find an easy pickle recipe before they take over my kitchen. 

I am about to start frying green tomatoes because there are so many on the vine that if they all start ripening at the same time I will have to give them away.  (I don’t mind sharing our bounty, but I LOVE tomatoes.)

And figs – I don’t even want to go there.  Our tree is heavy with half-ripe figs and we don’t even like them.  Now those, I would happily give to a new home.

We do love this zucchini bread recipe though so I thought I’d share it.  It makes 2 loves and freezes well.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 tsp. each baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt
3 cups flour
3 cups grated zucchini
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350.   Spray two 5 x 8 loaf pans with cooking spray.  Beat together eggs, sugar and oil.   Sift together baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.  Mix flour mixture together with egg mixture and add zucchini, vanilla, coconut (and nuts).  Mix well.   Bake for 1 hour. 
(I mix all of this by hand.)

100_1734

2 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm amazed you have veggies already!! Our garden has just been planted and the sprouts are just coming up out of the ground.. It'll be late July before I get anything and then, like you, will have enough to feed a small country. My husband goes overboard every year. I finally ask,, "Please next year just one tomato plant and not 35?".. yeah, you see my problem. Thanks for the recipe,,can't wait to try it!

Red Rose Alley said...

Hi Teresa,
I saw your Blog when I was on Daisy Cottage, and while reading it, I realized we have a lot in common. I love anything red, especially roses, I like gardening, birdnests, and junky treasures. I too, lost my father when I was 28. I wasn't ready to lose someone that was so dear to me. Me and my daughters just started a Blog, and would love it if you could visit us and if you like it, become a follower. The link is http://redrosealley.blogspot.com We just recently did a post about "Home Treasures," and it will give you a chance to get to know us. Hope to hear from you. Have a sweet day.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley