Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Food

What food says “Christmas” for you? 

Our Italian family tradition was ravioli made by my grandmother and then later by my mother and her sisters.  Thirty years ago when my husband went home with me for Christmas before we were married, he kept looking around for the turkey!  No turkey there!  He wasn’t even sure what ravioli was.  Boy, have I changed him!

We had antipasto, then the ravioli, then the meat and vegetable course and then, of course, dessert.  I also remember the “grown-ups” having wine and roasted chestnuts (I draw the line at the chestnuts).

So, I decided that it was time to try my hand at my grandmother’s recipe for ravioli and today . . . I DID IT!!

Here they are drying before freezing and I will cook them on Christmas Day.

100_1556

This is a little bittersweet because my mother wasn’t here to see the torch passed to me.  (I definitely felt her smiling down on me.)

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Merry Christmas to you and hope you have a wonderful holiday. What a lovely tradition to carry on,, your mom would love it!! I'm sure of it!